Saturday, March 7, 2009

Supreme Court Update

There has undoubtedly been a bit of a late start on my behalf. Fortunate for me, I'm quick at locating educational resources (always search for the .edu or indication of legitimacy as a resource, correct?). The case that I chose was Loving v. Virginia; I chose it for good reason. The topic matter is the subject of debates even in the modern time. That is not to say people protest interracial marriage, but I'm sure you know what I'm alluding to - they had hearings on March 5th in California regarding the topic, and one of the key points often referenced amongst debaters is interracial marriage and its relevance to the current situation.

Regardless! I skittered about the internet like a sleuth mouse and dug up some delightful resources regarding Loving V. Virginia, including a website detailing quotes from the court's ruling, another detailing the entire history, and the third outlining the history of the Fourteenth Amendment. It is my intention to review the case and outline the key points throughout the week, as well as begin solidifying my reference sources (as more than three seems legitimate for any research assignment). However, first thing is first thing: identifying who was sitting on the bench at the time of the case, as well as who voted concurring, and who voted dissenting.

No comments:

Post a Comment